Configuring ExactTarget API
LimeLight CRM Support
July 23, 2014 15:52
REV June 19, 2019
To start using ExactTarget as your email Auto Responder, you will need to complete a few easy steps first. These steps are described here for your reference.
1. Obtain your ExactTarget Account: Go to http://www.exacttarget.com, and sign up for an account.
2. Create your Account: Enter the information required by ExactTarget and sign up for an account.
3. Obtain your API Key: In order to obtain an API Key, you will need to follow the steps at the link below. This key will be used in the configuration within the Lime Light CRM as mentioned in step 7.
4. Obtain your Client Id: You can obtain your client Id within the ExactTarget console when you go to the Admin menu. The Account Id under General Settings will be the Client Id that is configured in the Lime Light CRM as mentioned in step 7
5. Create Two New Lists: When working with ExactTarget, you will need to create two separate lists; one will be for customers, and the other for your prospects, Go to Subscribers > Lists, then choose Create. It will take you to the following screen:
Once your two lists are saved, you will need to obtain your List Ids. Under “My Lists”, click on the settings icon, and make sure to show the List Id column. The list Id will then be displayed under the List Id column for each of your lists. The lists Ids that are obtained will be used in the Lime Light campaign configuration as seen in Step 8.
6. Adding Custom Fields: With the ExactTarget system, you have the ability to add custom fields. Custom fields let you collect detailed information about your subscribers, and let you personalize your emails using this information. Adding custom fields is essential if want to accept data that is being passed through the Lime Light CRM like the Address, City, etc.
You can reach the custom fields page if you go to Subscribers > Profile Management. Once there, you will be able to create your custom fields.
7. Add the Email Provider to your Lime Light CRM Account: At this point you must already have your ExactTarget account completely set up. In the Lime Light CRM, go to Auto Responders>Email Providers. Choose “Add Auto Responder Provider”, and then select ExactTarget as your email provider.
Now a new window will open up asking you for the following ExactTarget parameters:
- Username – This is provided by ExactTarget.
- Password- This is provided by ExactTarget.
- API Key- This is created by you in step 3.
- Client Id- This is gathered by you in step 4.
- Alias – Create an alias for internal purposes only. This alias will help you organize among multiple providers in the future since you may have multiple ExactTarget accounts within our system.
Then save it.
When creating a new campaign or editing an existing campaign you can assign a new email provider and list ID’s if you wish
8. Add the List IDs to your Campaign: When creating or editing your campaign, you will see at the very bottom of the page the option to enable an Auto Responder to your campaign. Once you select an Auto Responder, ExactTarget in this case, two more fields will appear: Prospect Id and Customer Id, you will enter the List Id’s that were provided to you once your Lists were created in step 5 of this document. For this example, we used limecustomers and limeprosoects; just enter them as in the following illustration and click “Save”:
Please be aware that you only need to go through the ExactTarget set up once. After you have your account set up and get all the API information needed from them, you can easily create, access, and manage your Lists and assign them to