Configuring iContact API 1.0
LimeLight CRM Support
October 26, 2010 20:20
REV June 19, 2019
To start using iContact as your email Auto Responder you will need to complete a few easy steps first. These steps are described here for your reference.
1. Where to obtain your iContact Account? go to www.icontact.com and sign up for a Free Trial first, no credit card will be required.
2. Create your Account: enter the information required by iContact and get your Free Trial.
3. Create iContact API application ID: once your account has been set up, now you can open a new tab and go to https://app.icontact.com/icp/core/registerapp to create your iContact API application ID, the next screen will come up:
Create an Application Name and Description and click on “Get App ID”.
4. Get your Application ID: in the next screen you will see your Application Name & Description, right below that you will see the option to show information for API 2.0 or 1.0, you must select API 1.0.
Configuration for iContact API 2.0 will be provided to you in a separate article.
5. Get API Key and Secret: once you have selected the option to show information for API 1.0, the information for your application will appear at the bottom of the page, providing you with your API – Key and your API – Secret (you can save both in a separate document since you will need them in future steps), for example:
The screen will look as the following:
6. Enable the API – Key for your account: the next step will be to click on the link at the bottom of the page that says “enable this API Key for your account”. Now a new screen will come up showing your Application ID and requesting you to create a password for your application. Make sure you save this information as you will need in future steps.
A new screen will confirm that your application “X” (your application name) now can access your account, using the password you provided.
7. Create Two List IDs for your Campaigns: You may have a list of prospects and a list of customers for each campaign. For some of them the list of prospects may be the same if the campaigns are very similar; this means that you can use the same list for multiple campaigns; however, the list of customers will differ from one to another. You will be able to create as many lists as you need depending on your needs for the Campaign(s) you are working on.
To start creating your first list click on “My Contacts” >”My Lists”> “Create a List”. You can name your first list Prospects and add a description to it. For instance, Prospects for Campaign XY, and click “Save” at the bottom of the page. Now click on “Create a New List” to create your second list, you can name this list Customers and add a description to it. For instance, Customers of Campaign XY and click “Save”.
Now, your two new lists will appear under your Lists.
With iContact you can set up as many lists as you need to, and have easy access to manage each of them as necessary. For this example we are only setting up two lists for one specific campaign.
8. Create Sign-Up Forms to generate Lists IDs: now your two lists are ready to use and the following step is to generate the List IDs for each.
Go to “Sign-Up Form”, click on “Create a New Sign-Up Form”. For this example we will create the Sign-Up Form for the Prospects list first.
Fill in a name for the Sign-Up Form, you can name it Prospects as well if you wish, and then click the checkbox of the List associated with it, which in this case will be Prospects, and save. No other fields are required.
Once you click “Save” and it takes you to the new screen, go to Manual Sign-Up Form and scroll through it to look for the “listid”, which is usually around the middle of the code, when you find the “listid” go ahead and copy and save the value.
For example: 22158.
Repeat the same process to generate the List ID for the Customers List.
Go to “Sign Up Form”, click on “Create a New Sign-Up Form”. Fill in the Sign-Up Form name, you can name it Customers if you wish, and then click the checkbox of the List associated with it, in this case Customers, and save.
Once in the new screen, go to Manual Sign-Up Form and scroll through it to look for the “listid” (around the middle of the code), when you find the “listid” go ahead and copy and save the value.
For example: 22159.
9. Add the Email Provider to your Lime Light CRM account: at this point you must already have your iContact account completely set up. Go to your Lime Light CRM account and go to Auto Responders>Email Providers. Select iContact 1.0 as your email provider and click “Add Email Provider”.
A pop up will come up asking you for the iContact 1.0 parameters, please be aware that this is case sensitive:
- Username – username that you created with iContact
- API–Key – provided by the email provider
- API-Secret – provided by the email provider
- API Password – password that you created and save in step 6
- Alias – create an alias for internal purposes only. The alias will help you to easily differentiate among multiple providers in the future, since you may have multiple iContact accounts within our system.
Then save it.
When creating a new campaign or editing an existing campaign you can assign a new email provider and list ID’s if you wish.
10. Add the list IDs to your Campaign: When creating or editing your Campaign XY, you will see at the very bottom of the page the option to enable an Auto Responder for this Campaign. Once you select an Auto Responder, iContact in this case, two more fields will appear: Prospect List ID and Customer List ID. You will enter the “listid” value you got from the Manual Sign-Up Form, for our example the Alias we used is test and the List ID for each list are submitted as in the following illustration, and click “Save”:
Please be aware that you only need to go through the iContact set up once. After you have your account set up and get all the API information needed from them, you can easily create, access and manage your Lists and assign them to your Campaigns as needed.