Configuring MailChimp API
LimeLight CRM Support
September 17, 2013 19:28
Updated: January 7, 2020
To start using MailChimp as your email Auto Responder, you will need to complete a few easy steps first. These steps are described here for your reference.
1. Obtain your MailChimp Account: Go to http://mailchimp.com/ and sign up for an account.
2. Create your Account: Enter the information required by MailChimp in order to create your account.
3. Obtain your API Key: Create an API Key, go the Accounts Settings menu, click on the Extras drop down menu, and select API Keys. From there, select create a key, and an API Key will be generated for you. This key will be used in the configuration within Lime Light as mentioned in step 6.
4. Create Two New Lists: When working with MailChimp, you will need to create two separate lists; one will be for customers, and the other for your prospects. Click on the lists icon located on the menu bar on the left side of the screen, then select create list, and it will take you to the following screen:
Once your two lists are saved, you will need to obtain your List Ids. Click on the List name, then from the Settings menu choose “List name and defaults”. Each List Id will be located on the right side of the page as shown in the illustration below. The lists ids that are obtained will be used in the Lime Light campaign configuration as seen in Step 7.
5. Adding Custom Fields: With the MailChimp system, you have the ability to add custom fields. Custom fields let you collect detailed information about your subscribers, and let you personalize your emails using this information. Adding custom fields is essential if want to accept data that is being passed through the Lime Light CRM like the Address, City, etc.
You can reach the custom fields page by selecting “List fields and *|MERGE|* tags” from the Settings menu on the Lists page. Once there, enter each custom field name, then click on Add a Field to add each custom field.
6. Add the Email Provider to your Lime Light CRM Account: At this point you must already have your MailChimp account completely set up. In the Lime Light CRM, go to Settings > Providers. Choose “Add New Provider Profile”, "Auto-Responder/Email as the type, and then select MailChimp as the provider.
Now a new window will open up asking you for the following MailChimp parameters:
- Username – This is provided by MailChimp.
- Password- This is provided by MailChimp.
- API Key- This was created by you in step 3.
- Alias – Create an alias for internal purposes only. This alias will help you organize among multiple providers in the future since you may have multiple Imnica accounts within our system.
To send Custom Fields to Mail Chimp - click on the custom fields tab and name and select the token value. To add more then 1 custom field click the plus sign at the bottom left of the screen.
7. Add the List IDs to your Campaign: When creating or editing your campaign, you will see at the very bottom of the page the option to enable an Auto Responder to your campaign. Once you select an Auto Responder, MailChimp in this case, two more fields will appear: Prospect Id and Customer Id, you will enter the List Id’s that were provided to you once your Lists were created in step 4 of this document. For this example, we used limecustomers and limeprosoects; just enter them as in the following illustration and click “Save”:
Please be aware that you only need to go through the MailChimp set up once. After you have your account set up and get all the API information needed from them, you can easily create, access, and manage your Lists.